Friday 20 April 2012

Our First Two Months


     So, it has been awhile since my last post! Life has been very busy for us, and when I did sit down to write something my account was all messed up. Being the computer genius I am instead of trying to figure it out (although I did spend a whole night trying to find out what was wrong) I decided to start all over again! So, here we go!!
      Moving in and of itself is an adventure, whether moving across country or across the street. Well, moving across the world is no different. The first month was filled with excitement as we settled into our new house. Our house with a yard where my kids discovered coconuts, chickens,and geckos. We explored, everything, and everyday was an adventure. Then came the second month!

     By the second month, the stuff we had sent from the states had arrived and we were on our school schedule. My days are filled with school, and home responsibilities, which is fine I love it! What I was not prepared for was the homesickness that would fill my heart and overwhelm me at times. I have a wonderful husband, God has blessed us with amazing friends and a wonderful support team. We, compared to other missionaries we know, have it made! Yet, it seems whenever I would talk to someone from home, I was so lonely. All the new stuff we were doing I would want to share or do with our family. Then, my kids started experiencing homesickness. I had no idea what to do, they were sad, I was sad, and we really have no reason to be sad. God daily loadeth us with his blessings. That was my answer, instead of looking at what I was missing I started looking at what I had. How many people get to go to the beach, with turquoise water and snorkel any time they want? How many people get to be amazed at all the tropical flowers they see, and know that they will be there year around? Do we still struggle...yes, but now I do not let it overwhelm me.
     On one day that was very hard, I went to my room and was literally crying out to God, I opened my Bible and this is the verse my eyes saw first. Psalm 61:2 "From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I." I thought, "well, you don't get much further than Guam, and I am overwhelmed, and yet my Rock is higher than me." I am so glad my Bible is alive and my God knows how to comfort me in my times of tears and heartaches.
     I take it day by day, moment by moment, know that my Heavenly Father is already is there with me and is already in my next moment. That gives me a great peace!
     So what do you get for spending your time reading my thoughts, maybe a new understanding or a reminder of how to pray for your missionaries. Pray for their families adjustments, and for their hearts when they do experience homesickness.!


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you! Culture shock is very real! It hit me really hard after 2 months. Glad you are settling in and I'm really enjoying all of your wonderful pictures!

    ReplyDelete